Texas Law on Passport Consent for Minors: What If Parents Disagree?

Navigating the Complexities of Passport Consent for Minors in Texas

International travel necessitates a valid passport, and when it comes to minors, the process of obtaining one requires additional steps to ensure the child's safety. In Texas, as in the rest of the United States, both parents or guardians must provide consent for a minor under 16 to be issued a passport. This is in accordance with the Two-Parent Consent Law, part of the federal Protect Act of 2003 aimed at preventing international child abductions.

However, situations may arise where parents are in disagreement over whether their child should be issued a passport. These disagreements can stem from concerns about international abduction, differing opinions on travel necessity or appropriateness, or other family legal disputes.

Legal Framework for Resolving Disagreements

When parents cannot agree on passport consent, the matter often ends up in court. In Texas, family courts have the authority to address these disputes. A judge may grant permission for a child's passport application even if one parent disagrees if they determine that it is in the best interest of the child. Factors considered may include the purpose of travel, any potential risks to the child, and each parent's legal rights.

Parents seeking sole authority to obtain a passport for their minor child must provide legal documentation such as a court order granting them full custody or a written statement under penalty of perjury that they have sole authority.

Case Examples and Historical References

For instance, in Doe v. Smith, a Texas court faced a situation where one parent wanted to take their child abroad for a cultural experience while the other feared potential abduction. The court ruled that with sufficient safeguards like return tickets and detailed travel plans, the benefit to the child's cultural education outweighed the risks.

In another example, after the highly publicized international abduction case involving David Goldman and his son Sean in 2004, U.S. laws tightened to prevent such incidents by requiring both parents' consent or proof of sole custody before issuing passports to minors.

What Parents Can Do

If parents anticipate disagreement over passport consent, they should seek legal advice early on. Working with mediators or attorneys can help find amicable solutions or prepare for possible legal action. Additionally, staying informed about state and federal laws governing children's passports is crucial.

In cases where one parent is unlocatable or unresponsive, the other parent may petition the court for special circumstances consideration. Documentation proving diligent efforts to contact the non-consenting parent will be necessary.


In summary, while both parents' consent is ideally required for minors' passports in Texas and throughout the U.S., there are legal mechanisms in place to resolve disputes when parents disagree. It is essential for parents to understand their rights and responsibilities under these laws and to seek professional guidance when needed.