← New York

What are the laws on passport consent for minors in New York?

Understanding Passport Consent for Minors in New York

In the State of New York, as in the rest of the United States, specific laws and regulations govern the issuance of passports to minors. These laws are designed to protect children from international child abduction and ensure that both parents agree to the child's travel outside the country. The U.S. Department of State oversees passport issuance and has established a set of requirements that must be met for minors under the age of 16.

According to the U.S. Department of State, all minors regardless of age must have their own passports to travel internationally. For those under 16, applications must be submitted in person using Form DS-11. One critical aspect of this process is that both parents or legal guardians must provide consent for the passport to be issued.

Consent can be demonstrated in one of several ways:

In situations where one parent cannot locate the other, they may submit Form DS-5525 (Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances) explaining why the non-applying parent’s consent cannot be obtained. The Department of State will then assess this on a case-by-case basis.

Historically, these stringent requirements stem from international treaties like The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, which was enacted to protect children from being unlawfully taken across borders. The U.S., including New York State, is a signatory to this treaty, hence its strict adherence to ensuring consent from both guardians before issuing a minor's passport.

For example, in 2014, a New York mother was arrested for attempting to obtain passports for her children without the father's consent, highlighting how seriously these regulations are enforced. Such incidents underscore the importance of complying with all legal requirements when applying for a minor's passport.

It is crucial for parents and guardians to understand these laws and prepare accordingly when planning international travel with minors. Seeking guidance from legal professionals or contacting the National Passport Information Center can help clarify any uncertainties and ensure compliance with all necessary procedures.