What is the process for obtaining child support in Florida if the other parent lives out of state?

Understanding Interstate Child Support in Florida

Child support is a crucial aspect of ensuring that the financial needs of a child are met, even when parents live in different states. Florida has its own set of procedures for obtaining child support, which can become more complex when one parent resides outside the Sunshine State. It's essential to understand the legal framework and steps involved in securing the financial support your child deserves.

Initial Steps to Obtain Child Support

To initiate the process for child support in Florida, the custodial parent must first contact the local child support office and complete an application for services. This is managed by the Florida Department of Revenue Child Support Program, which will help guide you through the necessary steps.

Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA)

The key legal instrument for interstate child support cases is the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA). UIFSA allows for the establishment, enforcement, or modification of child support orders across state lines. It ensures that a child support order from one state can be recognized and enforced in another state where the non-custodial parent resides.

Locating the Non-Custodial Parent

One of the first hurdles is locating the non-custodial parent. When they live out of state, Florida authorities can cooperate with agencies in other states to find them. Tools such as the Federal Parent Locator Service (FPLS) can be instrumental in this process.

Establishing Paternity

If paternity is not already established, it must be done before a child support order can be set. This can be achieved through genetic testing or by having both parents sign a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity.

Establishing a Child Support Order

Once paternity is confirmed, either parent can seek an order for child support. Florida uses guidelines based on both parents' incomes to determine the amount. If the non-custodial parent lives in another state, Florida courts will still issue a support order under UIFSA provisions.

Enforcing the Child Support Order

To enforce an out-of-state child support order, Florida can request assistance from the state where the non-custodial parent lives. The local agency in that state will then take necessary actions such as wage garnishment or property liens to ensure compliance with the order.

Modifying Child Support Orders

Either parent can request a review and modification of a child support order if there is a significant change in circumstances. UIFSA provides guidelines for which state has jurisdiction to modify an existing order when parents live in different states.


Navigating interstate child support can be challenging but understanding these steps provides a roadmap for securing your child’s financial future. Seeking professional legal advice is always recommended to ensure all procedures are correctly followed and rights are protected.