← New York

How to legally change a child's name in New York.

Understanding the Procedure for Child Name Change in New York

Changing a child's name in the state of New York is a legal process that requires the submission of specific forms, potentially a court appearance, and compliance with state law. Parents or guardians looking to alter their child's name should be informed of the procedural steps, legal requirements, and implications of such a change.

Step 1: Determine Eligibility for Name Change

In New York, the person filing for a name change must have legitimate reasons and the child must be a resident of the state. If the child is over 14 years old, their consent may also be required.

Step 2: Fill Out the Necessary Forms

The first form to complete is the Petition for Individual Name Change (Form NC-100). This document asks for current and proposed names, reasons for the change, and any prior criminal history or debts. If applicable, Form NC-110 must be completed to provide notice to any non-petitioning parent or legal guardian.

Step 3: Notification and Consent

Non-petitioning parents or guardians must be notified of the intended name change and given an opportunity to object. If they agree to the name change, consent forms must be signed. In cases where a parent's location is unknown or they are unresponsive, alternative means of notification may be approved by a judge.

Step 4: File the Petition

Once all forms are completed, they should be filed with the County Clerk's office in the county where the child lives. A fee is required at this stage, which varies by county but can typically range from $65 to $210.

Step 5: Court Appearance and Judge's Decision

In some instances, a court appearance may be mandatory. During this time, a judge will review the case and either grant or deny the name change. The judge's decision will consider the best interests of the child including any potential confusion or embarrassment that might result from a name change.

Important Considerations

Prior to making any decisions about changing a child’s name, it is advisable to consult with an attorney specializing in family law. They can offer guidance specific to your situation and help navigate any complications that may arise.